Friday, January 4, 2008

Shopping (but not for fabric)

I got $75 worth of Borders' gift cards for Christmas. Last night, when it was no longer safe for me to sew (you know when you reach that point), I went online. Caught up on Patternreview, posted a UFO, read some blogs, and then settled down to the serious business of spending $$.

$75 doesn't go far on Amazon/Borders, but I opened Half.com in a new window and checked everything I was interested in on both sites. Here are the results:

From Borders:

The Zapp Method of Couture Sewing: Tailor Garments Easily, Using Any Pattern - Anna Zapp

Easy, Easier, Easiest Tailoring - Pati Palmer

Theatre de la Mode: Fashion Dolls: The Survival of Haute Couture - Edmond Charles-Roux

The Tudor Tailor – reconstructing sixteenth-century dress - Ninya Mikhaila


I had to have the Tudor tailoring book. I'm a sucker for historical costumes and I love knowing how the real stuff worked.

And from Half.com:

Chanel : Amy De La Haye

The Complete Book of Sewing Shortcuts : Claire B. Shaeffer

Bridal Couture : Susan Khalje

Distinctive Details: Great Embellishment Techniques (Threads)

Dressmaking : Leila Aitken

The Dressmaker's Dictionary : Ann Ladbury

How to Start Making Money With Your Sewing : Karen Maskowski

Sew to Success : Kathleen Spike


Not sure about the two "make money from your sewing" type books, but the last 4 on the Half list were under $2 each, so it's worth the browse. All in all, I spent about $10 over on Borders, and the Half haul only cost me about $40, with postage. And now I have 12 new sewing books to read in my abundant spare time.

Hey, it's better than fabric. I never swear off book-buying.

No comments: