Sunday, September 28, 2008

The vest comes together

I love it when projects take on a life of their own. Yesterday this vest was a skirt; today it may not be finished yet, but it is definitely a vest, and it has made its wants very clear.

I had been thinking about using leather piping for the edges; it said yes to that. It said no, however, to leather ties in the back, reminding me that I had a couple of these cute black leather buckles that I picked up at Pacific Trims last year for a BWOF jacket that never got made. And one of those looks adorable on the back. At this point I'm debating putting one on the front as a closure; it's not necessary because I narrowed the vest so that it wouldn't close because I didn't want to hide the vintage buttons.

And I stopped back in the thrift store yesterday afternoon because the only lining I had on hand was black acetate and that just seemed to bleh. The thrift store served up a poly satin blouse in a wonderful oyster/light gray color, much more interesting. It's awaiting the scissors.

As I mentioned, this vest started out as based on BWOF's 2/2008 vest, but it's looking less and less like the original, and really only started from that point because I was feeling too lazy to draft a vest pattern from scratch. If the fabric had had a less definite design, I might have simply taken a princess-seamed jacket and cut that down, but I didn't want to disturb the roses any more than necessary. I think it worked well - the only thing I didn't like about the original skirt was how perfectly even the flowers were.

Back to the workroom. I'd like to get this finished today, if it lets me.


Elaray said...

love the fabric -- love the vest!

Isabelle said...

This is looking great, Karen! Nice pairing of fabrics.

Alana said...

Wow. This is looking really cool. I love it.

Lindsay T said...

I love that you repurpose old garments. Very green of you!

Linda said...

I like this fabric as a vest. Looks great with the new blouse and buttons.

Kat said...

Karen, this looks GREAT! I love the way the it's piped, and that belt buckle looks so snazzy.