Friday, October 31, 2008

Too many interruptions

Between work, baseball and watching entirely too much election politics, not a lot has gotten done lately. Friday I mostly avoided the Phillies World Series victory parade by watching it out my office window, though I did go downstairs briefly and caught these wingnuts up on top the roof of the train station. Needless to say, the cops weren't happy, especially when they started tearing the downspouts and gutters off by swinging on them.

And the destruction in Center City yesterday was pretty extensive. On the news, they were saying it wasn't "too bad," but I guess that's in comparison to the Sixers' win about 15 or 20 years ago, where they burned cars and had to lock down the shopping district against looters. On Wednesday night they still threw newspaper boxes through store windows and turned over cars, so I'm sure for those whose property was involved, it was bad enough.

Off my cranky old lady soapbox now and back to the project at hand. There has been much gluing going on, since I can do that while wandering back and forth to the television. The coutil is a perfect backing for the leather, which would stretch out in no time without some reinforcement. It leaves the leather completely flexible, but there's no way the bag will get out of shape now.

The first strap is sewn, interfaced, glued, sewn to its ring and about to be embellished with a silver stud at either end - downright tame as embellishments go, but I'm still leery of doing that for fear it will look awful in the end. Except how can it - it's one dinky silver stud. It'll look like it's holding the strap on the ring.

Fear of embellishment; who knew it was an actual disorder? At some point I'm going to have to get past it.

This weekend I'm going to finish the straps, do a little more gluing, and get the bag put together. With luck (and enough uninterrupted playtime) I'll be able to get the straps attached to the bag, and maybe even sew the bag and lining together.

Then of course there's the issue of embellishing the bag itself, but I have more smaller sized studs: round, triangular and star shaped. I'm thinking just along the top opening of the bag, but of course I'm not sure. Once I have the body of the bag together, I'll lay out several options and take pictures. I'm definitely soliciting opinions on this one.

2 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

This is crazy! I know people think badly of NYC but I have to tell you no one burns cars or breaks into shops after we win the World Series or the NFL Playoffs! We haven't won something in basketball in so long I don't know how those fools would celebrate!

Becky said...

I also live within Philly sports fan country, and I've never understood that about the fans. How is destroying other people's stuff a form of celebrating?