Friday, October 3, 2008

Vogue 8280 - The Galaxy Dress Knockoff

Okay, so who doesn't want to look like this? Anybody out there? Vogue knocking off Roland Mouret's Galaxy dress was probably one of their best moves ever because it saved a ton of people from trying to draft this one on their own.

The Galaxy wasn't the first Mouret I saw and liked - I have various photos saved of his clothes - but it's probably the most flattering and wearable. It looks like everyone's vision of the 40s, but without the killer shoulder pads.

I've had the pattern for a while, and I've had the fabric for longer. The fabric, a gray-with-aqua-plaid mystery blend from Jomar, has been in stash for about 1.5 years, and it was originally purchased to be pants and a jacket. Or a skirt and jacket. Or possibly pants and a skirt. But as soon as I got this pattern, that plan changed.

And then changed again, because when BWOF came out with the adorable retro jumper pattern last month, I envisioned it in this fabric. Then I thought long and hard about (a) the full bust adjustment I didn't feel like doing to that pattern, and (b) if I did decide to do the pattern, I would want to do the front section on the bias and this just wasn't the plaid that called to me for that. So back to the semi-original idea, and the Galaxy dress.

Most reviews I read on this pattern said that it ran big, especially in the back, so even though this is fitted I didn't go up from my usual 12, and I'm probably going to have to go down a bit. I had enough fabric that I could lay it out on the living room floor during the VP debate the other night and make sure that all my plaids matched. I cut the shoulder flanges on the bias for a little extra interest, but if they don't do it for me when I start sewing, I have enough fabric left to recut them on the straight grain.

I also have enough fabric left that I can make something to wear over the dress. Short sleeves heading into fall/winter wasn't a bright idea, but I just don't see this dress with long sleeves. Doesn't matter that they gave me the option of sleeves with the pattern; it's a short-sleeved or sleeveless dress (in my case, short sleeves) and that's it.

The latest issue of Patrones had three capelets in it. And Melissa over at Fehr Trade made an adorable tweed capelet recently. I thought they were all cute, but where would I ever wear one? And with what? Several weeks later, I discover that I'm about to make the perfect dress to justify the making of a matching capelet. They'll be rolling on the floor in my office, but that's nothing unusual.

7 comments:

Cennetta said...

I love this dress; I'm planning to make it soon. BTW- I nominated you for the Brillant Weblog Premio-2008 award. ;-)
C

-E said...

I have seen this pattern and damn I want it bad.
Can't wait to see you in yours :)

senaSews said...

I love this dress, too. I have it on my to-do list for nearly a year....i beg your version will be absolutely amazing!

Connie B said...

MMm loving it! Frantic question here now- I KNOW you made a little bolero jacket for a wedding you went to - I remember loving it, and Erica wants a little something like that for over her wedding dress- I have gone crazy trying to find it - do you remember the pattern? I think it was BWOF but I could be (probably am!) crazy!
Have fun in NYC next weekend - We should start on our end of Nov plans soon!!!

Connie B said...

It's okay - just found it! Burda 7987- see - I am crazy!

Melissa Fehr Trade said...

Yes, definitely make the matching capelet if you have enough fabric! And I'm now finding that the key to wearing a capelet in the chilly weather is... long gloves! Unless you live in California or you've got really warm arms or something. :)

Unknown said...

Hello,
Can anyone tell me where to get the pattern for this dress please? I want to make some for my bridesmaids
thanks!