Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Wow. I made a coat.

I'm still somewhat surprised that it's finished, that it turned out this well, that I wore it to work today and it stayed together and kept me warm. Why do we doubt that (even not at our best) we can still make things that are comparable, if not better, than RTW?

I had a lot of time on my hands last week to finish up the coat, and I did, all except for the buttonholes, which were dealt with yesterday. Thanks and kudos and all things good to LindsayT for her recommendation of Jonathan's Embroidery on 38th Street in NYC. I had a vacation day yesterday and we got up early and took the bus to NY and I ventured out into the cold and windy streets, clutching my coat closed with one hand. There was a short line at Jonathan's (5 women, all holding some wooly/velvet/brocade garment to their chests). I was the only one there actually wearing the garment intended to be buttonholed. I soon found out why.

Because they're busy, they make buttonholes. That's all. They don't actually open the buttonholes for you. Oops. Still, I happily paid my $5 for my 5 buttonholes and skipped off to Pacific Trims, still clutching my coat, where I bought notions for an upcoming project and a $1 seam ripper to tidy up my flying threads and actually open the buttonholes.

Speaking of New York, I did more than just have buttonholes made. Big surprise there, right? When I was dropped off at Jonathan's, we agreed to meet up at 1:00 p.m. to go to lunch. That left me almost 2 hours once the buttonholes were done. Yes, I'd like to linger and browse, but what one of us couldn't do a respectable amount of damage when turned loose in the garment district for just under 2 hours? I'm proud of what I accomplished in a short period.

First, even before Pacific Trims, I ducked into Mood. When I was up last month with Connie, Kisha, Lee and LindsayT, I spent some time looking at leather with Connie. I hadn't planned another leather jacket anytime soon, but there were some skins that really appealed to me and they were waiting when I went back yesterday. Mood's prices for leather are actually comparable to the "real" leather stores, so I didn't feel bad.

Next to Pacific, for a 22" zipper for the leather (yes, I have a pattern all picked out), and some square snaps. And that oh-so-necessary seam ripper.

Then back around to 37th Street to visit Kashi and thank him for opening for us last month. And to purchase a few yards of tan doubleknit, some really nice dark floral knit for a dress, a few yards of olive green slightly stretchy linen, and an absolutely beautiful black diamond-patterned wool for a Chanel-ish jacket.

Is Chanel jacket the newest disease? It's as contagious as one, let me tell you. I can see more buttonholes in my future . . .

Last stop, Paron's. I didn't really plan to go there, having already thrown money at Kashi and Mood, but it was right next to the comic book store where I was supposed to meet someone at 1:00 p.m., and it was only 12:30, so what could I do? I was good: I bought 2 yards of a gauzy cotton print for summer, and two yards of a black/brown/gold speckly silk for lining for that Kashi Chanel jacket. If I'd had more time - both for shopping and thinking - I would have run back to Pacific again for buttons and trims.

But I'll get up there again before spring. We took the Bolt bus yesterday, which came in at $18 round trip, and while there is traffic to deal with, in some respects it's better than the train - no change in Trenton, no chasing your departing train down the platform and having to wait . . . but then again there were the 20-somethings in the row behind us who, instead of actually having conversations, sat there in a row with their laptops and read each other's Facebook pages. One of them actually texted the one at the other end of the row.

I must be old.

16 comments:

wendy said...

Oooh, that coat looks very cozy.

Here's a small secret- if you go to Jonathan when they're not too busy, and you ask nicely, they will open the buttonholes for you. Usually. ;-) Yours look really nice though!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Karen - your coat is lovely and the garment center tale was quite entertaining. You just made me realize that I spend waaayyy less time in the garment district than I use to! I am soooo lazy and just order everything online...I only go there when I absolutely have to now!

Meg said...

Yes, ditto what Wendy said about opening up the buttonholes for you at Jonathan's. But your coat looks great and you have me craving a trip to the garment district again. Maybe over the holidays....

Little Hunting Creek said...

That is a beautiful coat! I am jealous about Jonathan's. Maybe I need to go to NY...

Janene said...

Good for you - you finished your project and it is a great coat!

Elaray said...

Wow! You made a coat! And it looks great! One of my goals for 2009 is to make something outerwear. If and when I do, expect me show up on your doorstep with a zillion questions.

Lori said...

Beautiful coat, your hard work paid off. I have an almost 19 yo and that sounds like something she would do on the bus.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Nice looking buttonholes! That is an impressive garment district haul for only two hours.

The bus is the only way to go from DC--$35 round trip. The train is $200+. Crazy! I haven't tried the Bolt, just the traditional Chinatown buses. I hear it's a little nicer.

luckylibbet said...

OK - will check with the local alterations place to see if they do buttonholes. Major Jonathan's envy! And the facebook thing? honey, that is just the beginning. Yep, we're old.

Manecoarse said...

Congratulations!!! Your coat looks great. I'm encouraged.

Cennetta said...

Karen, I love your coat. I so envy that you can make a trek to NY to shop and get beautiful buttonholes. Today I'm checking around Chicago to see if I can find a place that will do this for me. Looking good, Girl!
C

Vicki said...

Congratulations on finishing your coat. It turned out so well and your trip to NY sounds very productive!

cidell said...

YAY!! You finished a coat! And, you are not old. They, simply have lost all their communication skills :)

Tany said...

Fantastic job on the coat, well done! You look great in it!

Kat said...

What a stylish coat! All the work you put into it really shows.

Kat said...

Karen,

Do you have a buttonhole cutter? I purchased one several years ago and don't know how I got by without one for so long.