Wednesday, April 29, 2009

It worked!

My frankenpattern blouse is done, and I'm really happy with it!

It was basically finished yesterday, but I couldn't face doing all the hand-sewing and held it until this evening.

I brought it out to the couch and watched the presidential press conference with Mario and it took almost no time to do what I couldn't deal with last night. Go figure. Plus I earned myself some relationship points by not retreating to the sewing room and leaving him alone with the TV.

When I decided to cut into my last precious piece of Liberty for this project, I wasn't really even thinking about how much of my existing wardrobe it would work with, but it really does.

Because I can't have something nwe and not immediately want to wear it, I'm pairing it tomorrow with my green linen suit. In the photo I'm wearing it with my dark brown pants from PR's 2008 Wardrobe Contest. It'll work with the olive denim skirt I just finished from BWOF's April 2009 issue. And so on.

Jeez, do you think I'm getting predictable with my colors here? I make something without thinking and it drops without a ripple into the existing wardrobe.

All in all, this project went much more smoothly than I would have expected. It only took minor adjustments for the upper bodice to align with the lower and, at least to my eyes, the resulting top is more flattering (at least on me) than either of the original patterns.

Frequent sewing of BWOF patterns has convinced me that the amount of ease in most Big 4 patterns is excessive. These two patterns can be included in that category. I removed a good bit of the ease here, yet the top isn't tight. It's fitted, and it looks it, but I can move and bend and nothing binds or catches, and I'm certainly not likely to pop a button.

I think the fabric also helps. Liberty is interesting because it looks so airy and delicate - and it weighs absolutely nothing - but it's got the strength of bed sheets. Honestly. Of course, that's probably why it costs an arm and a leg, but you know what? Next time I run into some, it's coming home with me.

17 comments:

Little Hunting Creek said...

That blouse is so pretty and looks great on you! Run out and buy more Liberty and make another one immediately!:)

Nancy K said...

Very pretty! The fabric works well with your pattern.

Lisette M said...

Very, very pretty!

Anonymous said...

Very cute blouse. I love Liberty. I have some in my stash awaiting the perfect pattern!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

First - this is the cutest pattern and the resulting top looks amazing on you!

Second - when you can sew something from your stash and it fits right into your wardrobe you are doing something right and that's a good thing!

Third - I count on all that ease in the Big 4 patterns...*LOL* I need that extra space!

and just think while you were doing something productive like hand sewing during the Presidential broadcast, I was just listening!

McVal said...

The blouse looks great! You've inspired me, but the timing sucks. I have to wait until after graduation to pull my sewing machines out...
and clutter up our dining room table again.

Maryissewfast said...

Simply Darling! I love the print! I've already put my daughter on notice that when she moves across the pond...Liberty Lawn Baby! That's what Mama wants!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Gorgeous blouse! I am totally loving the fabric.

luckylibbet said...

Adorable! So happy it worked.

Meg said...

Nice pattern-matching! Great blouse. If I see any Liberty on sale in the garment district I'll let you know.

Omega said...

Pretty blouse, the fabric works well with that fabric.

gwensews said...

Congratulations. Pretty blouse. The fabric is wonderful.

Ann Made Studio said...

Great job on your blouse. It looks perfect :)

Mardel said...

What a lovely blouse and it looks so nice on you. That is the joy of a good stash; if you buy what you love it should all work together.

Tany said...

Very pretty shirt! Love the fabric!

Kitty Couture said...

Ha! So true about Liberty fabric. What I like best about it is not the prints in the end, but the fabric itself.
Your blouse looks great.

Kat said...

Great blouse! I love that neckline.