Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A fabric-driven project

Remember I said I only bought one yard of fabric last weekend in New York? Well, this was it.

I saw it, it called (yelled) to me across Spandex House, and I took a close look and decided that I liked it but I'd never wear it.

I went upstairs, looked around, thought about it, went back downstairs and bought a yard. I knew I couldn't make a dress out of it, but you can make a t-shirt out of almost any fabric.

This is my TNT KwikSew 3338 t-shirt pattern. I've probably made it 15 times by now, in long sleeve or short, scoop neck or higher, solids and patterns. By this point, I can sew it in my sleep. I even have a second version of the pattern folded into the envelope in a size larger, for when I'm recycling old tshirts - they don't have as much stretch as new fabric, so I always cut a size larger and work the seam allowances.

I still haven't finished the sewing room, but I pulled the coverstitch into the living room and did the hems out there, and I still have my regular Singer set up on a corner of the table.

I couldn't not sew any more. A quick and dirty project like this one did me a world of good.

This fabric was purchased on Saturday, washed on Sunday, cut on Monday night and sewn on Tuesday.

Now let's see what happens when I wear it to work tomorrow. How many people will have to wear sunglasses around me to cut the glare?

22 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

Nice top!I so love knit tees.

Rose said...

I love the fabric--how could you not buy it.

Rose in SV

Isabelle said...

Great top. I'm glad you were able to get some sewing done!

Linda said...

That fabric truly made up into a great looking top.

Kathie said...

it's adorable... it will make you smile all day long.

Myra said...

I was not sure about the fabric in the 1st photo but love it made up. Very cool.

Nancy (nanflan) said...

Love it!

Little Hunting Creek said...

Awesome tshirt - I LOVE the fabric!

Rachel said...

I love that. That fabric is great!!!

Sewfast said...

Awesome T...glad you got to sew a bit!

Sherril said...

I like it. But, what are you going to wear it with? Can you wear jeans to work?

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Wow! What a great piece of fabric and a great top!

McVal said...

Wow! I wasn't even thinking tees! Great job!

Lindsay T said...

Talk about fun fabric!

gwensews said...

I love it! Love the print, and honestly, I live in T-shirts.

Claire S. said...

ooh I'm liking this tee, that print is great - nothing like a conversation piece at work :-)

Lori said...

Great fabric.

Tracy said...

As one Philly girl to another, I know what drew you to this fabric, one ride on the El in the late 80's early 90's and this shirt says it all. Have fun wearing it:-)

Susan said...

I absolutely LOVE it! Fabulous fabric, for sure.

Becky said...

I can see why the fabric was calling you!!

Vicki said...

Fantastic. The fabric says it all. Perfect pattern for the print.

Kat said...

I love it! It has a hip, street graffiti look.