Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What did I do this weekend?

It's all over blogland by now that several of us were lucky enough to attend Carolyn's get-together this past Sunday. Add in a little retail therapy and some fabric shopping the day before, and you get an all-around fabulous (and exhausting) weekend.

On Saturday, Cidell and Trena came for a visit (Cidell stayed and Trena took the bus back to DC later that day). We met Kisha at Jomar for a short shopping expedition. I only bought 2 pieces of fabric - 5 yards total. I must not be feeling well. Do I count the piece of fabric Trena brought me as part of Saturday's totals? I'll think on that.

Sunday we drove to Carolyn's by way of the Crate & Barrel outlet. My only experience with Crate & Barrel until then was the overpriced catalog, so it was nice to find out that the things that called my name were well within my price range. I bought 4 white footed soup bowls (French onion soup can't go in regular bowls; it just looks wrong), a few little appetizer plates, and, thanks to Renee, 5 yards of Marimekko fabric for new kitchen curtains.

My current kitchen curtains are made from printed sheets, are 8 years old, and were "temporary" until I'd finished the kitchen. Well, it took 8 years to finish the kitchen, so now I need new curtains.

The gathering was just what I needed - a group of creative, fabric-loving women, good food, wine and cupcakes. Energizing! Carolyn was kind enough to let us run our fingers through the button stash, and then we each got to pick something from her fabric closet - it cleared out a little space for her, and didn't add to our stashes because we each brought a piece with us to donate.

So what did I do Monday night and tonight, after being so inspired and energized? Did I sew? Did I sketch? Did I at least trace a pattern? No. No, I did not.

I organized my stash. I tore everything out of the shelving unit, off the knit shelves, and out of the 6 clear plastic tubs in the tall cedar closet, sorted through it, refolded everything, pulled out about 15 yards I didn't want, and put it all away again. It's not completely sorted by color, but the shelving unit is mostly woven, the small shelves are all knit and sweater knit, and the cedar closet is home dec, more home dec, lace and vintage fabrics.

There's a chance I might actually be able to find the fabric for my next project - once I decide what that is.

7 comments:

wendy said...

oh lucky- are you totally out of tub storage for your fabric? i still have some older pieces in 2 plastic sterlite tubs that i really need to get rid of since i always forget about the pieces in there.

it was too much fun to meet everyone. :-) i hope the drive home to Philly went safely!

cidell said...

Crate and Barrel outlet is the bomb! Thanks for hosting me this weekend!

Nancy K said...

I don't know about you, but organizing my stash was very liberating. I am jealous of your being able to get together with fellow sewers!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

My stash is in horrible condition, but I just don't want to deal with it as that will involve an expensive investment in some sort of organizing situation. *sigh* Had so much fun in Philly!

Lori said...

Sounds like a very fun time, thanks for sharing it with us.

Rose said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! Congrats for organizing the stash!!

Anonymous said...

I think you need to come over to my place to organize me. I'd pay you! Of course you'd need to come over again and again after that, because I tend to mess things up all over again.