Saturday, November 28, 2009

I think I've met my soul mate

Don't tell Mario.

There's a little problem, though. He's younger. Much younger.

The new love of my life is an 8 month old Scottish short-horn bull calf by the name of Scottie, who showed up today at a street fair held by the local mosque. The festivities go on all day, but the petting zoo was from 12:00 - 3:00, and I stayed for most of that time.

I was one happy woman. It's Saturday, see, and normally I go to the farmer's market on Saturdays and pet every dog in the neighborhood. But there's no market today since the farmers assume we're all home eating leftovers, so I was feeling severely deprived of my weekly critter-petting. But no more. I petted and groomed and hugged to my heart's content, and came home smelling so interestingly of other species that now my cats aren't talking to me.

We walked through on our way back from the gym, and first I was smitten by the goats, then by the chickens (I want backyard chickens, but this seems to require undue amounts of discussion at home and a change of zoning by the city), then by the lop-eared rabbits, but when I got to the last enclosure with the llama and Scottie, I was done for.

Can I keep a bull calf in my back yard? He's only 600 pounds right now. He won't attain his full SUV-weight for another year or so.

I might be better off with a goat. At least he'd eat my fabric scraps.

10 comments:

Ann Made Studio said...

What a fun way to spend a Saturday!

meli88a said...

only 600 lbs now... ha! you crack me up. looks like a fun afternoon. :)

Kerry said...

I have always wanted a llama or an alpaca. I used to live near a family who raised them and had their pen in the front yard of the house. I loved watching them when I would ride by on my bicycle.

Connie B said...

I'll send you a piglet! They are cute for at least a month...

Little Hunting Creek said...

What a cutie! My dogs would also stop speaking to me if I petted around :)

Helene said...

mmm, actually as someone who raised both angora and dairy goats for many years I can tell you that goats will not eat your fabric scraps. They are actually very picky eaters..

Gorgeous Things said...

How fun! If you want to get the scoop on chickens, as Phyllis. She has 8 laying hens.

Elaray said...

That's why I LOVE your neighborhood. Where else can you walk down your street and meet an adorable bull!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

That looks like so much fun! My farmer's market has ended for the season and I am sad. :( The backyard chicken issue is a hot one now--maybe there's hope for a change in zoning. It would be so cool to have fresh eggs!

Kitty Couture said...

Your post totally cracked me up, Karen. Especially the cats-not-talking-to-you part. Thank you so much - I really needed a laugh tonight.