Sunday, November 15, 2009

Just another manic Sunday

So today is going to be another Sunday at my aunt's house. I've seen her more in the past 6 weeks than I've probably seen her in a year, which doesn't say much about what kind of niece I am, does it?

Either way, the packing goes on. I'm going to try to talk to the neighbors about the sewing machines, but I think they're gone. It wasn't the neighbors themselves; it was friends they brought over at my aunt's invitation. Harder to get things back when they've gone off the block.

And when I tried to tell her that I wanted the machines, and that she'd promised them to me, her reasoning was that I have new machines and why would I want that old junk? She's one of these people who believes that her stuff has so little value that if you admire it, she'll hand it to you.

As she did.

Since I can't get any substantial sewing done, I've started on Christmas goodies. There's a local craft show that runs from the beginning of December until the week before Christmas, and I'm going to try to turn out some small pieces for that. If they sell, fine and dandy; if they don't, I'm only making things that I can use as Christmas gifts for friends and co-workers, like the makeup bags pictured above. (They were made from a quilted jacket I picked up at the thrift store a few years ago and cut up the other night). The bags are finished except for inserting the linings. Hard to see in the photos but I've done some beading in the centers of the pink flowers on the front bag, and some other random beading on the second bag.

It's keeping my hands busy, which in turn keeps my brain quiet. That's all I can ask right now.

6 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I'm sorry that you won't be able to get the things back from the neighbors and I understand your pain. However, I am sure that your aunt DID NOT realize how much you wanted these items...you know just to cut her some slack. She is moving from her home and losing her sense of self...she didn't realize that she was hurting you...

Plus you are going to receive greater blessings for being there for her and helping her through this situation...something greater even than the items that the neighbors now have.

Myra said...

Reading this reminds me of our current family situation. My grandmother had some demencia before passing this fall. She changed her will about a year ago and it is goofy. Let's leave it at that. I think she was confused. It could be she got confused... She probably did not realize.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Love those makeup bags! I can't imagine that fabric being a stylish coat but the print is perfect for its current use.

Meg said...

Those are great little bags.

Going through similar stuff with my dad now. Who knows what he's done/doing with much of his stuff. Thank God we got my mother's jewelry out of his house.

TE said...

The joys of aging relatives! At least your aunt made a real mistake. My dad's 3rd wife committed fraud regarding his estate, leaving birth children and grandchildren high and dry. Keep on creating beauty - you'll get through it.

TE said...

The joys of aging relatives! At least your aunt made a real mistake. My dad's 3rd wife committed fraud regarding his estate, leaving birth children and grandchildren high and dry. Keep on creating beauty - you'll get through it.