The dress is done. And miracle of miracles, I think I like it.
It's getting handed off tomorrow night, so I won't see it again until the show opens, but after all the twists and turns of this particular journey, I think the result is better than anticipated.
Tonight I got the last of the lining sewn in. The lining isn't completely fitted - I just didn't have the time and energy to cut a bodice lining that exactly fit - but it fits along the top edge and it's tacked to the zipper and at the side seam, and the minimal excess fabric won't take up any extra room inside the dress.
Good enough is, indeed, good enough.
I realized today that it's the 3rd of the month and I haven't done my month-end review for January yet. I was going to put off doing it, but I like the reviews just because it keeps in front of me how much (or how little) I accomplish each month.
I have been a bit unfaithful to the dress. Whenever I need a change of fabric, I've been working on the BWOF 12/09 #120 hooded tunic made from a toast-colored stretch velvet. I got it almost finished tonight, just need hems and buttons on the placket to call it done.
It was supposed to be the last project for January, but I think not. There are actually a few UFOs for January, which I need to take care of soon. I don't like to keep UFOs around anymore. I won the UFO Contest on Patternreview in 2006, and I haven't recovered from the shame of it yet. You should never have so many UFOs that you can win a contest with them.
I have 3 dress UFOs - the BWOF dress that was too small and that I'm finishing for a friend; the dress I started to wear to the wedding the other week and lost interest in; and another dress that I started based on pattern I drafted, that just isn't exciting me right now.
First up I'll finish the dress that I wanted to wear to the wedding. It's a pattern I've made before; I just got h ung up on the sleeves and got distracted. Easy fix.
The BWOF dress is easy, too, but after working on the costume, I'm done with sewing for others for at least a week.
The third dress may well be a wadder, or it may be a successful top, if I can bring myself to chop it off at waist length (it was an attempt to lengthen a favorite top into a dress, and maybe there's a reason it's a good top).
Coming soon: I stopped in at the thrift store after work today and found an absolutely beautiful navy blue wool pea coat for $18. The wool is very good quality, and it has all its buttons, plus the extras. The only problem is that the lining is frayed around the hips. But on the plus side, the lining is still intact, so it'll be easy enough to remove and duplicate. The sleeve linings are still perfect, so I may just make a new lining and attach it to them, then bag it around the jacket. I do some navy floral poly charmeuse in the lining stash. I hate re-lining, but not so much that I'll pay someone else to do it, and certainly not enough to leave a jacket that fits that well hanging on the rack.
Notes on the dress photos here: top, dress without flash; next, closeup of the pieced bodice; third, bodice from the side, showing the invisible zip; fourth, dress with flash (shiny); and last, the unfitted lining.
I'm tired now.