Monday, February 15, 2010

Put on your shades

'cause this is one seriously orange plaid.

And I like it that way.

Now it may be over the top for me to even be considering the ruffles on McCall 5522, especially since I groused in my last post about my sneakily-enlarging boobage, but I confess. I have a weakness for ruffles and girly fluffy stuff, and I hardly ever give in to it.

I certainly wouldn't give in if this blouse were pink or white or any even vaguely floral pattern. But a loud orange and chocolate brown plaid? With the ruffles on the bias?

Okay, then.

And if after I attach them and try it on and don't like them, I have two more button plackets cut out on the bias that I can swap in place of the on-grain ones. If I can't have bias ruffles, something unusual has to happen on the front of this.

I have to say, BTW, that a fresh measuring seems to have done my fitting a world of good. No surprise there. All that's been done so far here is to sew the upper and lower bodice pieces together. It's pinned at the shoulders and side seams, the ruffle is pin-pleated and pinned on, and so is the front band.


I'm also having button issues at the moment. That's the problem with having a good button stash: too many choices. The blouse calls for 9 buttons - 5 on the front and 2 on each cuff (I'm making the long-sleeved version). Of the buttons pictured here, I have more than enough of the squarish white ones and the dark oval ones. I have 7 of the round white ones, which have little flowers etched into them. Since they're slightly larger, I could get away with single button cuffs there.

Any opinions on button choices? I think I have a favorite, but it's too early yet to tell. I'm going to marinate on them overnight and look at the pictures tomorrow and see if anything jumps out at me.

Just for a change, it's snowing outside. Again. Like the 2 feet of frozen white crap outside isn't enough. Like the 2 snow days last week didn't cause me to miss the PR shopping day in New York today - and it looked like everyone had a great time and bought some lovely fabric.

Of course, do I need fabric? No, I do not. The ever-multiplying stash made a few new friends last week as a small box wandered in from Gorgeous Fabrics. I looked at the drool-worthy Chanel fabrics she had and my budget was very glad that none of the colors really suited me. However, there was a much more budget-friendly boucle called "Persimmon Princess" in orange, gold, brown - my colors, no? I bought 2 yards of black RPL and a yard of orange to keep it company in the box.

If it's not too alarming, the orange RPL may become a pencil skirt to wear with this blouse.

That's going to need a seriously neutral jacket to tone it down. Or maybe I'll just glow in the dark.

17 comments:

Adelaide B said...

This fabric is amazing! I seriously covet it. (I also love little plaid button placket ruffles. I haven't committed to it for myself yet, but I am getting there.)

Linda L said...

I have never been crazy about plaids. I only have two or three plaid items. Having said that, I am loving this plaid blouse. The bias ruffle is the perfect idea. I like the darker buttons versus white ones. I think the darker ones do not take the focus away from the ruffle. Just my 2 cents worth. And not only am I liking the plaid, but orange is one of my favorite colors.

Lori said...

Great blouse and the fabric is wonderful. I like the darker buttons.

BConky said...

It's cute. I love the ruffle. I bought red and black plaid to make that shirt for my daughter.

Nancy K said...

Great plaid, and should look very nice on you. I prefer the darker buttons. The white are just too white. I also think that(you didn't ask for opinions on this part, I know, but I can't resist.) that a bias front band would look better. It's too distracting as is, because I always find that close looks like a mistake. A bias band looks planned. The ruffle, and I am not a ruffle person, is very cool.

Beangirl said...

love the plaid, love the ruffle, love the black buttons.

SEWN said...

Dark buttons. Definitely the dark ones. Love the ruffle!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I think you should use the plain white buttons and definitely a neutral jacket if you make the orange pencil skirt. Can't wait to see the completed outfit!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it that way! Great shirt! So inpsired.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

I like the dark buttons, actually. And would it be too crazy to have a ruffle only down one side? I am really digging the asymmetry.

Rose said...

I love the blouse with the orange plaid fabric! I'm wondering how it would look with a solid orange ruffle and orange buttons.

Dawn said...

Wow. I seriously love that.

Silknmore said...

How wonderful to be young, Karen. This is a great blouse.

Im Estee said...

I love this plaid, the colours are fab and I would totally wear it with the ruffle. You've great taste! Personally, I would choose the white buttons.

Kitty Couture said...

That orange plaid is going to look fab on you.
I like the dark buttons better, too. Love the ruffle!

gwensews said...

Nothing wrong with a statement color. It will be terrific on you.

Diana said...

This shirt is looking really nice and I absolutely love the fabric.