Thursday, March 18, 2010

Nice to meet you, Karma!

I'm sure some of you remember my post about my aunt giving away her vintage sewing machines, and how I resisted, with all my strength, shaking her like a martini.

Apparently my efforts at self control paid off.

It's nice to know that karma's not always a bitch.

I got a call at the end of last week from a neighborhood friend (named Karen) who said that her friend (also named Karin) was cleaning out her house and was looking for a home for her aunt's old table model sewing machine.

I said yes before she'd finished the sentence. She laughed and said, "I said yes for you before she finished asking me."

Last night it moved from Karin's house to Karen's house in Karen's car.

It's pretty. It's a White Rotary table model, seafoam green, with lots of shiny dials and levers and a whole big plastic box full of feet. Why is it that these old machines remind me of cars? My tan-and-brown buttonholer looks like an old woody station wagon, and this is 1960s Pontiac if ever I've seen one.

There was a sewing box with it, and in addition to the box of feet, there was yet another buttonholer attachment (Kenmore this time, but I think they're interchangeable), some thread and some random interesting glittery buttons.

Oh, yeah, and the patterns.

Did I mention the patterns? She said she thought they were from the 40s, and my heart leaped, but they're from the 60s. Oh, well. Since they're all itty-tiny (31" bust on most of them), 60s styles are much easier to grade up to the size of us mortals with boobage.

I'll post photos of some of the patterns tomorrow; I just had to share the loot with you all and to let you know that if someone (like your aunt) shuts a window in your face, soemone else (like a friend) will open the door and hand you in a sewing machine.

Welcome to the family. You may be my sixth, but I love you all equally, and I can't wait to get acquainted with you and discover what your special talent is.

If anyone out there has a similar model, I'd love to hear about its strong/weak points and why you either love it or want to throw it off the roof.

12 comments:

Andrea said...

Congratulations on your new baby. She's beautiful!!!!!

Beangirl said...

See, I just knew that good things do come to those who... uh... do good things. Or whatever. Awesome.

Shannon said...

What a fabulous new addition to the sewing room! I love an old machine - they truly don't make them like that anymore.

P.S. I had to laugh at the "itty tiny" comment. Us bust 31 gals may have small ta-tas, but we have big hearts! :)

Sewing Geek said...

Congratulations! Old machines always make my heart beat a bit faster, though I no longer collect them.

Rose said...

That's a fabulous addition to your sewing room family!

Anonymous said...

One word: jealous as all get out. Ok, that was more than one word. Congratulations!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I just wanna know - is it playing nice with all the other SMs? And, do you have room for it or is it bunking in a room other than the sewing room?

Rose said...

Oh! I'm sooo happy for you. It's gorgeous!

Rose in SV

BConky said...

She's lovely. What a fun treasure.

Digs said...

Nice new toy, and ever so lucky you! Just this morning I packaged up and returned to sender a Singer 201 that arrived, like June, busted up all over - sadly, it was poorly packaged, and I just didn't have the stomach to handle the necessary repairs hassle. But, there's another 201 somewhere out there with my name on it... I just have to tap it on its shoulder & beckon it home....

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

How fun! That really is karma.

meredithp said...

Yay good karma!