Now that spring is finally here, you'd think I'd be sewing in spring colors. Right?
Last night I finished off the last of my theater sewing, and I dropped the costume off this morning. Enjoyed making this one, but as always when it's not for me, I'm glad to see the back of it.
This afternoon, I locked myself away in the workroom and finished Mario's Burdastyle vest before it became a UFO, and then I made a top for myself using BWOF 8/2007 #105. I even used the same striped jersey as the original - how boring is that?
This was not the top I intended to make today, but I had a small stash avalanche, and this was what fell out on top. It reminded me of the original top in the magazine, which I had photocopied and stuck the picture on an envelope, but never traced out. Easily remedied.
Start to finish, including random dumb mistakes and getting the center fronts to not quite line up several times, I traced, cut and sewed this puppy today.
Since it was a Burda pattern, I felt free not to look at the instructions, especially when I saw on the cutting layout that they wanted me to make a facing strip. I hate facings on knits; I can never get them to stay put properly, and I just didn't see the point for a top this low cut to have even more issues with my neckline.
Instead, I cut a strip of the striped fabric on the cross grain, so it didn't have much stretch, but did have interesting striping, and sewed it along the edge of the neckline. I also thought it might stabilize the stretch somewhat and avoid spillage, but I'm not so sure. I could still cause an incident in this one if I lean over too far.
Here's the full patternreview for the top.
And on to the vest. It's finished. He likes it. I'm pleased it's finished and more pleased that he likes it, but I don't really like it.
Despite using this pattern thinking it would work on his body shape due to the Selfish Seamstress' issues with its fit on her man, it didn't fit mine properly either!
It was still too big. I cut a 52 (equivalent to a 40" chest, which is what he has) and it's definitely roomy. You can't see it in the photos, and I told him he has to keep it buttoned up, but I snugged the vest over when I sewed the buttons on so there's a bit of extra fabric underneath that is totally not right. But I wasn't going to rip it open and alter it, and I wasn't gonig to scrap it, so the other alternative was to make it fit him and ask him to keep it closed.
And also to kindly keep his hands out of his vest pockets, if he can at all help it. The welts mostly worked, but I would worry about their stability in the long run if he shoved his hands in there like he does to his jeans.
Here's the patternreview for his vest.
So now that's two tops done to the Month of Tops sewalong, and near-UFO finished for Mario.
On to the next project, which is . . . hopefully something that looks like spring. The lilacs are blooming in my back yard, and I have a big jar of them sitting in the sewing room, perfuming the air. Maybe that will inspire me to lighten up my colors and make something that says "April."