Monday, July 26, 2010

If you love something

And it doesn't fit . . .

Set it free.

I made this dress from BWOF 3/08 #115. It's Liberty. It's fully underlined in cotton batiste. It had 12 freaking darts in it.

I love it. It's fitted, unforgiving, and has no stretch.

I wore it once, to my friend's wedding last spring. Even with uber-Spanx, it was uncomfortable.

Deepika brought me a lovely piece of raw silk from India. I sent her home with that dress. I'll make something that fits me; she got a dress that fits her.

It's a lot like letting my friend wear - and keep - my great aunt's wedding gown. If it's not doing anything in my closet but pissing me off, I need to let it go to someone who will wear it, and in this case, someone who appreciates the work who went into making it.

Maybe now that this version is gone from my closet, I'll get around to making one that fits me.

Or maybe not. So many patterns; so little time.

7 comments:

Rose said...

Deepika is fortunate to have a friend like you. The dress is so pretty and looks fabulous on her.

Amy said...

What a pretty dress! Deepika looks especially lovely in it and is lucky to have such a generous friend :)

Deepika said...

Yes she is! I love my new dress. The fact that such a dear friend made it is a bonus. Karen this was truly a FUN weekend. Thank YOU!

Cennetta said...

Deepika is too happy. What a great gift. The dress is beautiful.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

A brave and wise decision. I have been cleaning out my closet this week--I wish I knew the clothes would go to such good homes!

cidell said...

I'm so glad you have her to give it too. It's so much better to have someone who appreciates sewing.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful dress! You done good girl. :)