Friday, July 30, 2010

Never mind

I signed on to do the Butterick 5147 Sheath Dress SewAlong.

And I wanted to do it.

Until, suddenly, I didn't. I started looking at every other project in my queue, including some I hadn't felt motivated about in a while.

It's kind of like how I feel about my book club lately. For August, we're reading Edith Wharton's Custom of the Country. A book I suggested! And I just can't be bothered. I'm reading everything else I can lay hands on. Dorothy Dunnett, Leif Enger, Barbara Kingsolver. Bring them on, just let Miss Wharton leave me in peace right now.

Of course, as soon as the sew-along is over, I'll probably get an unstoppable urge to sew sheath dresses. And then Elizabeth can laugh at me all she wants.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often refer to those moments as my contrary child. Your best intentions upon reflection don't match your present feelings. Happens, most often to me when when I tell DH we will have a "great dinner" and then I either get reading a great book or sewing. Thank DH as he will fix a sandwich and I get to eat popcorn at 10PM

Kathy said...

Sounds like my boggled mind...you are not alone!

Connie said...

I was all about making a sheath dress until I went to a 50th wedding anniversary and of the 40 women there, 34 of them were wearing a sheath dress! To my mind, that is overkill- overdress- oversheath? But maybe it is only me who thinks that way!

Nancy said...

While I'm with you on that feeling of resistance, I'm here to urge you to read The Custom of the Country. It's my favorite Wharton. Undine is a force of nature...

Barbara said...

Ahhh! Dorothy Dunnett is my favorite author of all time. Nice to meet up with someone who appreciates her. She is not an easy read, by any means...at least not if you want to track down every poem and classical quote.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Ah you'll get around to it another time...don't want to squelch the creative process!

Brenda said...

Well, I tried to email instead of leaving a blog comment but to no avail. I think it's the computer but it's probably operator error. Anyway, since you sew for your S.O., I was wondering if you have ever sewn a 7 fold tie and if so, do you have a pattern and construction info. My hubby would like me to sew ties fo him to match the dresses I make for me. Yikes!! Thanks!