Monday, October 4, 2010

A conversation about sewing

"Isn't she going to regret giving you that pattern?" he asked, looking away from the combined allure of the television and his iPhone.

"It's not a pattern," she explained, thinking that the phone's bluish glow was not all that flattering. "I just took a picture of her skirt and drew out the design. I'm using my own pattern."

His brow crinkles, he looks confused. "But I thought you sewed because you didn't want to dress like anyone else?"

Hmm. Proof of listening, at least on some level. Perhaps she will allow him possession of the remote for another hour, though that will sentence her to time alone in the sewing room.

Patiently, she said, "Well, that's true. But the other reason I sew is when I see something I want - that I can't have - I can come home and spend a weekend making one for myself."

"I don't understand." He changes the channel while simultaneously reading his email.

The conversation does not so much end as it is drowned out by the other voices in their heads. His voices sound a lot like Steven Colbert; hers are muttering very quietly about future projects.

She leaves, so she can listen to the voices in peace.

As you can see, I finished the skirt Sunday night. When I woke up this morning, it was chilly, rainy and I didn't want to get out from under the covers. Since I had to, I decided to wear my new skirt to cheer myself up.

Not much changed since yesterday. I got the skirt put together, I debated adding centers to the yo-yo flowers (and decided not to), searched the trim stash for something that would replicate the original crocheted trim, didn't find anything and decided against it anyway because at my height, I don't think anything that might end up looking like a ruffle is a good idea.

Unless of course it's my good idea, and I'm adding 2 layers of ruffles to an entire skirt.

But that's a different thing entirely.

And in other news, Denise of the Blue Gardenia blog has asked me to participate in her Sewing Spaces series. Yikes. I've enjoyed the series and loved peeking into the creative spaces (and the minds) of my fellow sewists, but allowing you all into my messy world?

Let's just say I did some really fast organizing. When Denise posts my space, please don't look too carefully at the floor or in the corners.

17 comments:

Rebecca said...

I like your skirt better than the original :)

Gail said...

A great example of see it and sew it.

Lisette M said...

Oh Karen! It's beautiful!!

Lori said...

Fantastic job, your skirt looks marvelous.

KID, MD said...

It looks great! It's not a copy! More an "inspired by"...

Little Hunting Creek said...

That is an awesome skirt :)

Deepika said...

Its beautiful Karen!

Beangirl said...

That is wonderful!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I'm just impressed with how fast you translated that idea from a thought into a garment! I love your version of it! Great job!

meredithp said...

That was fast! It's an *homage*. (Wish I could do italics).

Please don't clean up your sewing room. We want to see it, warts and all. Well, if you have to move stuff out of the way to show us some interesting, but "buried" feature, that's OK.

Love that skirt. I'm going to homage it myself, someday. ;-)

Anonymous said...

LOOOOOOOOOOVE IT! Insanely Beautiful.

~Heart~
Elise

Karen in VA said...

Love your version...Looking forward to seeing your space, have enjoyed the sewing space series...

Gigi said...

I love your skirt, it's so much nicer than the original! I suspect there will be a few knocks-offs around the internet. ;-)

Uta said...

Beautiful skirt, and beautiful work!

Erika Mulvenna said...

Nicely done! And speaking of sewing inspiration, have you found all the great links at www.WeAllSew.com?

a little sewing said...

Your skirt turned out so well! congratulations. Enjoy wearing it!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Oh, I love it! What a fun piece, but the muted colors keep it suitable for those of us over the age of 5. Lovely job!