Monday, January 10, 2011

Snug as a Ladybug

So this is what I made myself sew when I couldn't think of anything to sew.

I've got to start sewing for me - first it was the drinking shirt for my boss, which he wore at Friday's in-office happy hour, now a sleeper for my friends' baby, who is getting christened the weekend after the wedding.





I got this ladybug print fabric a while back at PA Fabric Outlet on 4th Street. I'm not generally big on printed flannels, except for PJ pants, but ladybugs are a special thing with my friends and one of their nicknames for baby Claire. So I had to buy it.

Then I stalled on what to do with it.

A few weeks ago I made a trip to the Norristown Jomar with friends, and I really didn't find anything. Which is good, since I don't need fabric. But I did pick up a yard of tomato-red fleece, thinking I could tie it in somehow with the flannel. I'm not a big fan of fleece, and now that my cutting mat is filmed with fleece fuzz, and my machine is coughing it up, I remember why.

But it served the purpose here, which is to keep Claire toasty warm. This was put together from several different pattern ideas and some of my own.

The hood is lined in fleece and I made the liner a little larger so that I could topstitch the edge and pull a little of the fleece outward to act as a border. I edged the sleeves in red and put a big red zipper down the front.

It looked a little open at the neck area, so I added a fleece tab that snaps on one side with clear snaps.

Here's the full review.

5 comments:

Little Hunting Creek said...

That is so cute! Lucky baby!

Gail said...

Love the colours - especially blue and red for a girl. Did you use a pattern or is this self-drafted.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Adorable! It looks incredibly warm. I kind of want one for myself.

Karen Minturn Brown said...

Consider adding slits (like buttonholes) large enough for the straps in the car seat. I remember as a new mom (17 years ago!) the frustration of wanting to use something which would not accomidate the need to strap him into his car seat. The risk wasn't worth it, so I didn't use those items much.

SEWN said...

Super cute. Great ideas.