Friday, April 15, 2011

Take That

I'll show you, Fatina.

Bore me, will you? Refuse to cooperate with me, will you?

Fine. I'll put you aside and make a knit dress instead. Knit dresses NEVER disappoint. By their stretchy nature, knit dresses RARELY refuse to fit the way you think they're going to.

This one was no different. What we have here is a Frankenpattern of the best kind - a favorite top and the skirt of a dress that I knew would work with it. I matched the two at the waist marking and cut, and 2 hours later, I had a new dress.

The fabric was my souvenir of Belgium this past October. It was pricy for a knit, but I haven't seen anything like this at home and I couldn't leave Bruges without it.

I. Feel. Better.

The top, obviously, is the well-loved, often made KwikSew cowl. In addition to thinking that the dress might be a little alarming made entirely in the print, I also didn't think I'd have enough left and so I cut the cowl in solid black.

I like it much better this way, so I don't think of it as a shortage of fabric at all.

The skirt portion was snagged from a 2008 BWOF dress with a waist drape (sorry, the pattern envelope disappeared shortly after I stuffed the pieces back in).

I didn't intend to make the entire thing last night, but it went together quickly, and when I realized I was grumbling about threading the coverstitch I almost smacked myself. That's all that's left to do - the hem? And you're too lazy to thread the coverstitch?

Coverstitch threaded, hem hemmed, dress done and worn to work today. I love it.

Now back to our originally scheduled UFOs. More to come.

9 comments:

Irene said...

What a wonderful dress! You look great. The black cowl really sets it off.

SEWN said...

That is so darn cute. What a great print. The pattern is a perfect showcase for it. Did you wow them at work?

Claire (aka Seemane) said...

Karen your dress is fab - and it certainly seems to have lifted your sewing-spirits :) P.S. I adore your choice of fabric!

Lisette M said...

LOVE IT! Nothing like a knit dress,great pairing of top and skirt.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

That turned out beautifully! Love it!!!

renee said...

Great dress. And Irene already said exactly what I was going to say, that black cowl really sets it off.

gMarie said...

Oh it's fabulous! I think I need that top pattern. :) Thanks for sharing - the print is stunning. g

Anonymous said...

Lovely dress.

Angie R.

Andrea said...

Love it, Lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve it!