Monday, May 2, 2011

Thwarted

I hit snooze until 8:10 a.m. today.

I'm supposed to be at my desk by 9:00 a.m.  Somehow, I got there, but don't ask me how.  And don't ask me what I did all day; I was busy but the fog in my head really prevented me from noticing exactly what it was. 

Obviously the cold is still with me, and the cold medicine is doing exactly diddly at this point.  So I decided to do something else medicinal - sew.

I'm actually closing in on finishing one of those long overdue Fatinas, and to complete it I need a little jacket.  I decided to trace off this jacket from the collection of vintage patterns Mimi lent me last week. 

I didn't get far. 

The envelope didn't seem too thick, but I figured maybe the original owner had someone like Mario around, who can re-fold pattern tissue in factory folds until almost its original thickness.  No such luck.  Of the dress and jacket pattern pieces, there was the skirt front, skirt back, and jacket front.  That's all.

At least it was an important piece.  Looking at the schematic at left, I think I should be able to draft up a reasonable facsimile of the jacket back - other than the neckline, it seems almost identical to the front.  As well, the facings won't be complicated once I have the jacket itself under way.

The collar will probably be the most difficult bit, but I think it's do-able.  The pieces here are drawn to scale, and I'm glad they have the grainline arrows clearly marked.  I'll start with the jacket back, and work up to the collar.

But not tonight.  Know why?  In addition to not having the pieces to trace, know why I can't draft the new pieces?

Because I ran out of freaking tracing paper. 

4 comments:

SEWN said...

I know you can do it!

Gail said...

I am well known for not being a fan of vintage, but I do like the jacket you are making. Will look forward to seeing it through.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I'm sorry but this just made me laugh out loud! The last line did me in...

I hope you are feeling better soon! Oh yeah and that some tracing paper shows up to your house too!

Marie-Christine said...

:-). A day meant for going right back to bed, obviously...