Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sewing Saturday

Fits me better than Evelyn!
I was lucky enough to spend the day on Saturday surrounded by other sewing women, sewing machines, sewing projects and enough energy and creativity to run those machines.

Annette of Fabricate and Mira invited group of us to her house and we spent the day sewing, talking, trading fabric and pattern magazines, eating, and sewing. Annette and Mimi also wrapped each other in paper tape (which was probably less fun than it looked to someone not being wrapped in wet tape), and ended up with a Frida Kahlo-esque body cast to work from. I'm actually kind of intrigued, but if I ever do it, I think I may go the duct tape route instead. 

Noile showed off the jacket pattern she's making for her husband, and started working very efficiently at the head of the table.  Lee almost made me reconsider quilting.  Almost.  Pat couldn't stay long but it was great to see her and I believe she left with a few issues of Burda, circa 2006.  Valerie was a satin stitch assembly line across the table.  The fashionably late Andrea worked on a jacket that I can't wait to see finished. 

Stencil was meant for another
project, but I like it here.
Of course I didn't really have a project planned to bring along - I'm working on a dress but it's all done except for hems and a little tweaking. So instead I pulled together some production sewing, stuff I could work on and talk at the same time without risk of messing it up. When I finish a knit project and have a remnant left over, I cut out my standard KS 3338 tshirt from it and put it aside until some time when I have motivation but no projects on hand.

I took 3 tops with me, one heathered gray with a stencil, one solid red and one sweater knit that I picked up at Jomar last year (I think it was part of the Marc Jacobs' remnant haul that they got). All 3 tops were finished except for hems (and about 2" of a side seam on the red tee, because I ran out of bobbin thread and it was so close to the end of the day that I didn't want to bother winding a new one. I finished them up tonight.


Why does red photograph
so badly?
  So not only did I have a wonderful time with friends, I got a lot done. And ran out in the middle to get my hair cut, to boot. Now I no longer look like a sheepdog and I have 3 new tops to show for my fun Saturday.

And (almost) best of all, I took 2 big bags of fabrics that for one reason or another didn't make the cut to stay in the stash.  Almost all of them found new homes, and those that didn't, only made it as far as my downstairs hallway.  Off to the thrift store they went this morning.

4 comments:

gMarie said...

Oh that looks like so much fun! I really like the one with the stencil. g

renee said...

What a wonderful day. I love your tees.

Maryissewfast said...

Looks like you had a super Saturday! Great tees and great idea! I usually stash the remnants back with the intention of making Tees or tanks. I need to try your method. Thanks for sharing!

SEWN said...

Love the graphic tee. Did you stencil it yourself?