Friday, July 5, 2013

Hot Stuff

Back yard berries
Whew!  It's rained here every day for at least two weeks, and now the sun's finally out.  It's also 90 degrees and everything that looked boggy is suddenly frying.

And growing.  If the plants are growing at double their normal rate, the weeds have at least tripled.

I have a nice size (for the city) back garden, where I do my best to plant at least a portion of our yearly fruit and vegetables.  Right now the tomatoes are starting to turn red, the blueberries and raspberries are coming every day, and the potatoes are blooming.

When I bought my house, I'd never had anything but sickly house plants.  I didn't know what I was doing, or how to plant anything, but I knew that if I had a house, it should have at least some ground.  I started with rose bushes (hard to kill, at least for me) and I've transitioned into a food-and-flower garden combo that uses almost every square inch of my 20' x 20' yard.

Turns out gardening is something I love - and it's great for stretching out those sewing-induced kinks in the lower back!

No comments: