Monday, March 10, 2014

It'll Work


The clouds are lifting!
As spring is coming closer, and the snow is finally melting, and I can smell the dirt in my back yard, I can feel it lifting.  That winter fog that messed with my head so badly.

Nothing has changed, but I'm feeling lighter -- I don't have that feeling of 3 a.m. dread that's been lurking for the past month or so, which means it really was just an aggravated case of cabin fever.

My oldest friend, who is also our housemate, tends to have a much different view of life than I do.  I've known her since I was 20 (she threw my 21st birthday party at work), and over the years I can't tell you how many times she's threatened to punch me in the neck for saying, "It'll work."  She always assumes, whatever it is, that it won't work and is therefore never surprised when it doesn't.  I tend (at least until lately) to assume that it will work, and if it doesn't, I scramble to find a way to make sure that it does.

I think a lot of the difference between our attitudes is just how entrenched our ideas are.  I've always been one to think, "Well, if the door won't open, maybe I can go over the wall.  Oh, it's that high?  Maybe I can tunnel under it.  Or, hmmm, wait, if I go three steps to the left, can I just walk right around the damn thing?"

Flexibility is what saves me most of the time, and if I sound more confident than I am, well, that's okay, too.  Fake it till you make it has also worked well for me over the years.

1 comment:

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I totally agree with your philosophy. If you think you can do something, you probably can. If you think you can't...well, you won't even try.