Thursday, August 28, 2014

Downton Abbey: Beads

One of my favorite dresses, and a good
sense of how the exhibit was arranged.
I know, it's been a while, but I was reorganizing some photos tonight and realized I had a few left from the Downton exhibit that I hadn't shared.

One of the things that really got me, made me stare and lean in, was the beading on some of the dresses.  If Winterthur had the usual museum sensors, I would have had them howling for sure.  Years ago, Mario and I went to the Paul Poiret exhibit at the Met, and after I set the alarms off for the third time, one of the guards told me that it was my last chance -- once more, and I was out.

I liked Winterthur; they knew we were there to get up close, but they also trusted us to be respectful enough not to drool on the dresses.

Nothing else to say here -- just enjoy the gorgeousness.  Turns out I do have a few more bits left after this -- a Dowager Countess and some lovely velvets.

More soon.





Amazing - the weight of the beads as opposed
to the lightness of the dress fabrics.  

Confession: I nearly drooled on this one.  



I don't even remember this dress, but
I wish I did.






4 comments:

Catherine said...

Just stunning. Thank you for sharing.

RhondaBuss said...

Amazing! I never tire of beautifully beaded garments.

Lyndle said...

Thank you for sharing these! Ooh, I'm looking forward to the Dowager costumes too.

Vicki said...

Such beautiful dresses. And I don't blame you for getting up close to the exhibits!