Monday, September 15, 2014

Downton Abbey: All Hail the Dowager Countess

Really, who doesn't love Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess of Grantham?

Almost as much as her barbed comments do I love her faded Edwardian grandeur.  Not for her Shirley MacLaine's 1920s furs and plumes and mutton-dressed-as-lamb.

Oh, no.  Violet had her day, and she's still wearing its clothes.  And its hats.  My god, that woman's hats.

Let's just have a little Dowager Countess, shall we, as we wait for season 5 to start.  In freaking January.

All I can say, Julian Fellowes, is no one had better die this season.





2 comments:

Jacqui said...

I've enjoyed all the exhibit photos. Thank you for taking the time to post them!

And I have no shame in saying I will be stalking British blogs in search of spoilers starting at the end of this month. I need to know what is happening as it's being aired over there.

Marjie said...

I love Maggie Smith in everything in which I've seen her. And I'd wear her Dowager Countess costumes! I've enjoyed your tour of the Downton Abbey costume exhibit.

And, hear, hear, Julian Fellowes! Don't kill off anyone else!