Friday, December 15, 2017

Bumps in the road

Sorry for the long period of radio silence.  What I thought was going to be an easy process of finding a house, putting in an offer, getting said offer accepted and moving forward . . . turned into anything but.

And this week, on Wednesday, we received a call from our agent, and shortly after that, a termination of transaction form to sign.

The seller has many issues, not all of which have to do with us, the house, or selling the house to us.  I'm not sure what's going on, but I should have realized sooner that it was time to walk away.  At this point in my life, I would never go through this kind of gymnastics to make a relationship work: if, no matter what I tried, what I said, what I did, the answer was still no, I'd accept the no and move on.

You can't make someone love you against their will.  And you can't make them sell you their house when, every time they agree, they then come up with a new condition that throws everything into chaos.

Just no.

So we signed the termination, and I followed up with a text to my agent with a list of six more (backup) properties we're going to see this Sunday.

I'm disappointed, but I'm not upset, and I'm not really surprised.

And in the end, I feel like we might just have dodged a bullet.  Maybe the universe was trying - in every way possible - to tell us this wasn't the right house.  And maybe I have to be whacked over the head to get the message.

Message received.

On to the next.

6 comments:

Moosiemoose said...

I am so sorry you had to go through all of this but I have to think that maybe you dodged a very big bullit. I just had a friend selling her condo to buy a house. The selling was fraught with troubles and problems with multiple buyers (its a sellers market here in the Pacific NW). But in the end she did get the house she wanted. I hope you will find something you like even better than this property. I really enjoy your blog. Thank you for sharing. Jean

Vicki said...

Yes, the universe was telling you something. The perfect house is still waiting for you to find it. Good luck,

Summer Flies said...

Yes sometimes you just have to hear the message even it you don't understand it. Your house is waiting for you somewhere. Hope it's soon.

SewRuthie said...

Buying and selling a house is definitely trying. For various reasons I ended up with a long gap when I was renting which wasn't ideal but gave me space. Then when I did find somewhere it took 5 months for the chain to move. I already had my mortgage arranged at the start and in that time I carried on saving, which turned out to be a good thing as there were unexpected repairs/improvements I had to make once I moved in which were quite expensive. I was able to cover them without too much trouble (no extra loan or anything), but it was upsetting at the time.

Unknown said...

My daughter had a similar issue, they were first time buyers so no chain and the house was listed as no onward chain. Perfect! However after months of delays from the buyer, finally finding he was looking to buy a house before selling his, they pulled out. They immediately found a much bigger place and in a country town rather than on a housing estate in a city. They absolutely love living there and their dogs love being a street away from country walks. So yes, sometimes these 'issues' are sent because there is some place better that is waiting for you :)

Nancy K said...

There is a better home in your future! One without crazy sellers.