Monday, August 5, 2019

One more thing off the list

So I needed an author photo - for Facebook, for Twitter, for the publisher and all the promo stuff we'll be doing (in addition to my actual BOOK, y'all).

I hate my picture taken. I'm self-conscious about my teeth, and my glasses reflect, and I've got circles under my eyes and and and...

My friend Dianne is a pretty good photographer (she was the only friend who was allowed to take pictures at our wedding, because I didn't want to spend the day flinching at cameras), so I asked her last week if she'd take a few pictures. She agreed, but she's away this week, so...

Here you have a writer in her bathroom with a smartphone.

I took about 60 pictures, got 4-5 that I actually didn't dislike, and then futzed with them in my photo editing software. I didn't do much, really - I am what I am, so I didn't do anything to my actual face beyond smoothing out the lines in my neck and a few uneven patches in my skin. The rest is 55 year old me, happy that I'm going to be published, happy that one more item on the to-do list is checked off, happy that I don't have to wait a week for photos that I probably wouldn't like any better, and at least when it was just me, the phone and my new shower curtain, I could mutter all I wanted about bad angles and just how many colors is my hair right now?

Anyway, that's done. Exhale.

8 comments:

bbarna said...

Great photos! You look younger than the picture from the sidebar (the last one). I too wear glasses and have dark circles. It is hit or miss with the pictures.
Take care
Barb from Canada

Karen said...

Thanks! And the last photo was only about a year ago. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have recognized you from seeing earlier pictures. No one will believe you are in your 50s.

Again congratulations on the book.

ceci

Annie said...

You look great and your shower curtain is very appropriate, you look like your already at a book signing gig! Well done you.

Vicki M said...

Great photo! You will be an expert at selfies now :)

Karen said...

Annie,large swathes of fabric are always purchased with photo backdrop in mind.

Karen said...

Thanks, Ceci. Amazing what just a touch of editing can do. I feel younger.

Eileensews said...

55 year old you looks great!!!