Monday, October 12, 2015

Rallying the Clan

A while back I received an email making some custom bears.  It was from someone I know online, someone I know who sews, but who said (more or less) that she would rather stick needles in her eyes than match plaid.

A friend brought this family tartan back from Scotland years ago, and she decided that she wanted to have bears made from it for her family and friend.

In the tradition of all good sewists, even though she didn't intend to use the fabric, she'd purchased a beautiful coordinating navy blue wool, which made my job even easier.

Here is the final result.  Well, actually there are 6 of them, but you get the idea.

Working with the tartan fabric made me realize that if I ever get to Scotland, my shopping budget is going straight to the nearest shop selling quality tartan.  It had a beautiful hand, the colors are more subtle close up, and it was a joy to work with.  Have to say, it was difficult to send the remnants back, but there's enough left that if my friend decided to, she could make herself a nice small jacket.

With matched plaid, of course.

Next up is another series of custom bears.  Remember the necktie bears from last year?  Well, that lovely man's family came up with more amazing garments for me to cut up and make a series of bears (and bunnies) for a different selection of grandchildren.  I'm looking forward to it, all except the taking shears to high quality clothing part.

But I always get over that, don't I?

7 comments:

Nancy K said...

The bears are really fabulous!

Rose said...

Absolutely Gorgeous!

Rose in SV

Vicki said...

Beautiful work. They are so cute.

Rhonda Buss said...

I made some suits for a client a number of years ago and used the wool she brought back from Scotland. Pure luxury. Your little bears are a dream :)

sewingfluffinator said...

I just love these bears. I have an idea for a custom order for you to do for me, but I would like to contact you by e-mail to see if it is feasible.

Thanks,
Deborah

Karen said...

Thanks for the love, everyone. I really enjoyed making these guys, and the plaid-matching didn't even require too much wine!

Deborah, there's no email attached to your Blogger account. You can email me at karen6790 @ msn.com and I'll be happy to discuss your idea.

luckylibbet said...

They are even lovelier in person! THANKS Karen! And BTW, the blue wool was from stash. I think I have owned that piece since high school, ie, about 30 years or more. Pure serendipity that it matched. - Heather