Friday, February 12, 2016

Hibernation

Hibernating "ski sweater" bear.  If I hadn't cut it up,
I would totally wear this.
The last week or so, I've had a problem.  I usually get up around 6:30 - 7:00 a.m., depending on how cold it is (need to make sure that the chicken's water isn't frozen).  Then I make coffee for us, have a cup with Mario before he leaves for work and usually - though  not lately - I have a second cup and get into my day.

But lately, I've been going back to bed.  Or, to be more accurate, I've been going to couch.  Lately, when I wake up, my low back is stiff, and my solution is to flop on the couch with the heating pad until it "loosens up."  By which point I'm out cold again with a cat or two on my chest.  When I wake up, the only thing that's tight is my head, all wound up because I've lost an hour or two of my usually productive morning.

Now I don't generally do creative stuff in the a.m., that's beyond the scope of how my brain works.  But the household stuff - throwing in laundry, doing the dishes, vacuuming - that gets done then.  Also the computer stuff that has to be done for the Etsy shops, which is always more than expected, and includes Facebook marketing, dropping in on a couple of sellers' groups to see what's going on, reading the latest entrepreneurial article and questioning everything . . . that also gets done before noon.

So while I'm still getting stuff made in the afternoons, the housework has gone to crap and I'm way behind on virtual "paperwork."

Bleh.  I think it just needs to warm up and get a little sunnier.  Even if things are a bit creaky in the a.m., if I wake up and see sun, I'm much more likely to stay up and function.  Going outside in weather freezing or below to feed and water an ungrateful bird is enough to send me back to my warm covers anyway.

This morning I stretched for a while after getting up, and I've managed to stay vertical (and at my desk with the heating pad on my chair).  Any other suggestions on how to deal with the winter blahs would be most welcome, though.

5 comments:

Mary said...

How about lively, motivating music to get going? Then turn it off if it gets distracting.

Marie said...

I get up at three a.m. to be at work at five. So when I get home I need to do the housework and cook dinner but these gray freezing cold days are sucking the energy out of me! Don't stress about it. This too shall pass. Everyday we are one day closer to spring. Give yourself some grace. Thats what I'm doing!

Rhonda Buss said...

I have a little routine. I'm usually up at 6 or 5:30. Make my tea and then head up to my husband's office where I light the fire and then I write for about 30 to 45 minutes. Something I do for myself. I'm not saying the you should write, but plan something that you love and look forward to. Your bear is so precious :)

SewTypical said...

maybe you just need a break for a while right now...
:-)

SewRuthie said...

Try flipping your bed mattress in case you are sleeping in a hollow.
When you get up find a good bright light and have it on to wake your brain up.
Check you office chair.if its adjustable it may be better tipped forward. Or you may find standing to use the computer helps especially in good supportive shoes.