Wednesday, January 16, 2008

It's a Wadder!

As a follow-up to my recent discovery that I have sewing standards, I actually pitched a project last night. As #3 in my mini-wardrobe, I was doing a KS 3093 turtleneck out of a cream-colored rib knit from Fabric.com. The fabric had been on my stash shelf for so long it was dirty along the fold line, but I figured that would come out in the wash. I probably should have washed it straight away, because that smudge annoyed me every time I looked at it, but that's not why the project was doomed.

I cut the pattern in my usual KS medium, then cut it down to a small because it looked big. I did the basic steps – shoulder seams, sleeves, attached the collar. I had been afraid the collar was going to be tight, but it wasn't. In fact, it stretched as I sewed it (and I wasn’t stretching it) and when I pulled it over my head, the collar was downright floppy. I folded it over to see if I liked it as a modified funnel-neck, but it didn't thrill me. Put it aside for the night and cut out my next two projects – it was too late to start sewing but I was awake enough to be trusted with the rotary cutter.

Last night I went in, looked at the top, tried it on again, and threw it out. It just wasn't worth continuing to work on it. The style wasn't interesting enough to attempt salvage, and the fabric wasn't good enough to handle the abuse of any ripping and re-sewing anyway. All I could see was another one of those projects. You know, the ones you finish against your better judgment, wear once to say that you wore it, and then hide away in the back of the closet where you can’t be annoyed by your failure to make it work.

Hey, sometimes it's not our failure. Sometimes the pattern's not right, sometimes the fabric is crap. And sometimes it is our fault. But either way, life's too short to finish projects that aren't worth wearing.

I actually feel good about this.

And now for one salvaged from the wreckage - the absolutely adorable box-pleated jumper/dress #105 from the October Burda. I wanted it as soon as I opened the issue, and despite reading several reviews on Patternreview about its snug fit, I went ahead and cut my usual 38, thinking that because my fabric had some stretch I would be safe.

Ummmm, no. It looks fabulous on Evelyn, but she wears her boobs in a better (shall we say, less natural) place, apparently. There was no way to re-cut, and I used 1/4" seams as it was. I still lined the dress, but I didn't line the sleeves, thinking that would make it even tighter, and just to be on the safe side, I made a matching jacket out of the leftover fabric. There wasn't quite enough fabric for the jacket, so I cut the side panels on the bias, which I think makes it look more interesting anyway. The two pieces together are totally cute.

The dress is snug across the top, but certainly not unwearable. Since it's a fall/winter faric, I'd most likely have worn something over it anyway, not really being the turtleneck/blouse under type. I'd like to make a spring/summer version, but that time I'll cut the bodice in a 40 and give myself room to breathe.

4 comments:

MarilynB said...

I think of wadders as learning experiences. Either you learn from it or learn not to make it again.

Kitty Couture said...

Good for you to chuck it and move on!

The Burda dress and the jacket are absolutely darling. I've wanted to make the dress too, but the sizing problems put me off.

Kat said...

Karen, good for you in ditching the wadder. Knowing it's not worth finishing sometimes saves the sanity and eliminates frustration for whatever reason. Or simply not liking the darn garment. Better to stop, then to actually finish the darn thing and know you'll never wear it. But the dress and jacket look terrific.

Marji said...

Karen, I'm not being condescending here, but rather tongue-in-cheek (it can be so hard to tell in writing)
You need a tape measure girl!

It's time to get a tape measure, and start measuring your pattern tissue before you cut.
It's too hard to count on your 'usual' size being consistently drafted, even in KS or Burda.
Both of these projects suffered from lack of a tape measure before you started cutting.

Now, I'm astounded at the concept of being too tired to sew but being fine with a rotary cutter in hand. Wow! I'm just the opposite. I've learned to my horror that late night cutting is to be avoided at all costs. I've cut on wrong cutting lines, I've cut two lefts and no right. me and sharp cutting implements only go together when my mind is fully functioning.
And, lastly, your menu sounds fabulous. Is your hubby a hunter? or, more to the point, where do you get the duck?