Wednesday, October 22, 2008

An Excess of Projects

Ever get so many projects going in your head at one time that you can't actually sew? That's what's happening right now. Some are big, some are small, some are just stupid mending that I could do while I'm on the couch, but right now they're just swirling around in a stew, taunting me to get started. Which does nothing except make me retreat to the nearest BWOF, which does nothing except add more projects to the list.

Here's what I have to do:

1. Finish Mario's black shirt. It needs a fitting, the side seams, cuffs, buttonholes and buttons sewn on. Done.

2. Finish a pair of BWOF 6/07 black pants. They were started in the spring, and then put aside when the weather got warm. The weather is no longer warm and I only have one pair of black pants. These just need facings and hems. Except it's been so long I've lost the facings. Found the facings; Done.

3. Another pair of those TNT pants in gray, to go with the wardrobe I've been working on. It's a fast pattern. It needs no tweaking. No reason to put these off. Cut out, mostly finished.

4. Make myself a gray sweater, using that Fabric.com sweater knit, and the Ottobre hoodie pattern as a base, just cut it on the fold, leave off the hood and add a collar band. It may only be a one season sweater, depending on how the knit washes, but it would fill a gap in the wardrobe. Fabric unsuitable; try again later.

5. Make a KS raglan sleeve top out of the leftover sweatshirt fabric. All my sweatshirts are so disreputable they can only be used for painting and serious cleaning. I need a warm comfy for the cold house. Another quickie pattern. Done.

6. Mario's jacket, the Burdastyle Stinchcomb. I have houndstooth check for a muslin. Just cut it out, don't even start sewing. Just scissors to fabric.

7. My Galaxy dress needs its capelet, and I've chosen 9/07 #118. Trace, cut, sew. Traced.

8. Mending. Hem one pair of pants for me, three pair for Mario. And there's a pink silk skirt I picked up at the thrift store that needs to be cut down to my size. And random buttons that need to be sewn back on. Done.

Okay, written out it looks even more alarming than it does in my head. But so much of it is fast sewing, it really shouldn't be that bad.

Tonight, I'm going to fit the shirt on him and pin the sleeves and side seams. If I get nothing else done, that's a start. Then I'll cut out the KS raglan sleeve sweat shirt, and when I'm finished that, I'll look for the facings for the black pants, or dig through the scrap bin and find a fabric that will work, and get those attached. (Hey, at least I haven't lost the pattern piece, just the fabric pieces).

6 comments:

-E said...

Good Lord, woman! Even I need a few deep breaths after that.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Dang! I'd want to put my head in the sand after that list too! The capelet is going to be darling.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I have sooooo been there and done that! :) So I totally understand!

luckylibbet said...

It's hard to get down to the small jobs - I always look for a big challenge - my list is about 18 items longer than yours... I'll start mine November 1.

Cennetta said...

My Goodness! I'm there. I keep telling myself, "Consentrate on one thing and get it done. lol

Kat said...

Yes, I get that too! Plentiful Project Paralysis.