Friday, December 12, 2008

BWOF 12/08 #118 Skirt - Finished!

The coat is almost done, but the head-cleaning project is finished - and worn already.

Pattern Description: You can't get more feminine than this! Diagonal section seams sculpt this knee-length skirt to the figure while a small back godet adds swing to the hem. Here's a picture of the skirt laid flat to show the section seams.
Pattern Sizing: BWOF 38-46. I made a 38 with no alterations.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? More like the drawing; the photo in the magazine was, as is typical with Burda, not very helpful since the model is holding her bag right in front of the curved seam.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Since I made some changes, I didn't use them. The pattern pieces are a little strange on this one, but once you look at them and see what you're doing, it's not a hard skirt at all. This is the layout for the pieces, to give an idea.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked this one when I saw it in the preview, and I traced it off right after the magazine arrived. I've been working on a coat lately and when I needed a break from it, this was the perfect project - not too complicated, not too long, great result. I wore it to my office holiday party today.


Fabric Used: Not quite sure. I bought it at Metro Textiles back in October, and Kashi called it "Italian rayon." I'm sure there's something else in there, but whatever it is, it's a wonderful drapy fabric. I topstitched all the curved seams with both brown and orange thread. Here's a closeup because the skirt photos really don't show the colors in the fabric. The lining is bright orange silk from the stash.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: One main one, which was to change location the zipper. BWOF drafted it to have a front fly zipper, and front seam curves down from the zip, but I thought that had too much potential for bulk, so I transferred the zip to the side and used an invisible one, and just made the front as a curved seam instead and topstitched to accent the seamlines.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Absolutely on both counts. You might not think this would be a repeat because the seaming would make it too memorable, but I don't think so. This skirt, even with the topstitching, is pretty much a basic color for my wardrobe. I'd like to make a summer version in a patterned fabric that would really work with the curved seams and bias godet in the back.

Conclusion: A great, flattering skirt that fits right into my existing wardrobe in both style and color. There are definitely a few more of these on my horizon - it has the fit of a pencil skirt but with more movement.

14 comments:

Lori said...

Great skirt. I like the entire outfit and the orange topstitching really pops.

luckylibbet said...

Great skirt and inspired design changes...

Vicki said...

Lovely! The orange is perfect. Good idea to scrap the fly front.

AllisonC said...

oh I love this and I really like your idea to move the zipper.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Great skirt and I love the lining!

toy said...

love your version of this skirt, no front zipper is so much better and the lining and top stitching are so pretty

Kitty Couture said...

Wow, this skirt looks great on you. The whole outfit is fabulous! I love the topstitching - what an inspired detail.

Melissa Fehr Trade said...

That skirt is just lovely on you! I was eyeing this one up myself so it's good to see it's a keeper!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

That has a really great flow while you're wearing it. Since you eliminated the dreaded fly front maybe I should give this one a try...

Cennetta said...

Love it! I want to make this one soon.

MadeByAmanda said...

I love that skirt. And the orange lining. What a great combo!

Diana said...

I love it. I'll have to make it too one day even if it's for my daughter.

Tany said...

This pattern is in my must sew list for this year! You dod an outstanding job, the skirt looks great!

Kat said...

Beautiful skirt! You wear it well, woman :) .