Saturday, June 13, 2009

A knockoff project

I got this top at my local thrift store's last half-price sale. Generally I tend to shop there for fabric - clothes that I can take apart and turn into other things - but this little top caught my eye. I loved the fabric, and I thought the style would be nice for work.

It is, but it could use some improvement in that it's a smidge too short for me (for a short woman I tend to like my tops longer) and also the facing has a tendency to creep out the front opening, even when the ties are knotted at the throat. So that needs to be dealt with as well.

Structurally it's not that complicated. I'll use my TNT tshirt pattern - the back and sleeves won't need any alteration at all - and then add about 1 - 1 1/2" in length. Using the higher-necked version of the TNT, I can mark and cut the opening, and the collar/band is actually just one piece, folded and sewn, so how easy is that? I don't know yet if I'll fully line the front (since I have some new black stretch tricot lining that I'm itching to use) or just turn the fabric under and stitch it down without bothering with a facing since they never work well in knits. I've made enough BWOF to have been thoroughly disillusioned with knit facings.

Once I remake this top, I may cannibalize the original and make myself yet another Ottobre tank top. I really do love the fabric.

6 comments:

Dawn said...

That's the perfect print for you. You've just got to make something once you're done with taking it apart.

Sew-Ann said...

This was a nice find. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Meg said...

I like this style. I just took apart one of my RTW tops and cut a new one that I like so much better.

gwensews said...

Those are your colors. Good luck in your remake!

Meg said...

I adore prints and this one is gorgoues.

Rose said...

Great bargain shopping! That fabric is awesome and just your style.