So tonight I finally got some uninterrupted time in the workroom with my new baby.
After I took her apart, cleaned her out, dusted, oiled, re-threaded and figured out how the hell to wind the mutant bobbins (they're clear plastic, wide, thin and screw apart so you can actually lift the thread out in a roll; weird), I tried out the Singer buttonholer.
This baby has so earned its shipping and handling. I was thinking because it's such a nice old heavy machine, I'd try it for other things, but no, it's just going to be a dedicated buttonholer. I tried out the regular and keyhole buttonholes tonight, and they came out beautifully. You can sew several layers one on top of the other, so you end up with a very textured buttonhole that isn't lumpy at all.
We're going to spend a lot more time together this weekend; photos to follow.