Always have, though sometimes it's difficult to find. Right now, apparently, it's in, because I'm seeing it everywhere, and twice as much when we were in Italy.
I had to talk myself out of buying a pair of fabulous argyle tights because I just couldn't imagine the distortion of the pattern over my calves. Can't someone invent a stretch fabric that doesn't distort when stretched over something larger than it's intended to contain?
This outfit (not dress!) came about from Carolyn's recent get-together. We were all instructed to bring a piece of fabric to donate, but we didn't go home empty-handed because Carolyn redefined being a great hostess and let us rummage through her fabric collection. I brought home 1.5 yards of this argyle moleskin, and really, even with vacation it's had almost no time to age in stash before it jumped into the wardrobe.
The skirt is BWOF 9/08 #120. Despite the fact that BWOF puts a pencil skirt in seemingly every issue, it was almost impossible to find a plain, unadorned pencil skirt. This one was as plain as it was to show off an excessive, sequined fabric, so no bands, yokes, darts in odd places, etc. Just a plain skirt with waist darts front and back. Because the argyle is more diamond-shaped than the regular square argyles, I had the choice of either matching the pattern at the back zip or on the side seams. I chose the back because I didn't want to think about mis-matching argyles back there
The top is a combination refashioning/bits of BWOF piece. The sweater started out as a man's 4XL, which provided plenty of fabric. Lots and lots of acrylics died for this sweater. (And Lily the sewing room cat appreciates all the scraps in her little box bed). I used one of my TNT patterns, KwikSew 2694, for the body of the sweater. I changed the sleeves a little bit because I wanted take advantage of the nice thick ribbing on the original sweater's sleeves and hem.
The faux blouse is BWOF 10/05 #102. I used on the collar and some of the front/back. I didn't make the button placket on the blouse because I didn't have enough fabric, plus I wanted something that would be open all the way for me to get my head through. I just marked the center front seam, folded it back on both sides and then stitched it at the bottom before I hand-sewed the whole construction to the neckline of the sweater.
I debated for a while about sleeves, but I couldn't come up with a sleeve that looked right with the substantial ribbing on the sleeves, so I left them off. I don't think the resulting "dress" suffers for it, though. And since what I really wanted out of that fabric was a dress, this was my solution to my the fabric shortfall. I think it worked out pretty well.
And possibly most important of all, it will be a kickass outfit for the shoes I brought back from Italy!
Wanted to start on my BWOF jacket today, but between my 6 mile walk to and from work (the transit strike isn't settled yet), and a long hard day in the garden yesterday getting it ready for winter, bending over the cutting table doesn't seem to be an option today.
Full patternreviews here and here.