Saturday, January 23, 2010
Light Bulb Moment
The other night my friend wondered why we couldn't use the lining fabric for the outside of the dress, and while I liked the color, the quality and texture weren't really any better than the satin.
Friday night I was out to dinner with Mario, grousing about working on this dress, and all of a sudden I had an almost-idea - you know, that foggy feeling in your head that you know, if it clears, the answer might. just. be. behind. it.
I went home and stared at the fabric for a while, and then I had it.
Use the reverse of the satin. It's not flat; it's a matte finish, and has a bit of the nubby texture of the satin without the godawful glare.
I had already cut out all the pieces, so I pinned the front of the bodice on and looked at it. It still has some sheen, but without the extra shine, the color didn't look as drab.
I had the designer's sketch handy, and I started folding the other bodice pieces, alternating right and wrong sides, to see if I could somehow create the scalloped effect of the original design.
Obviously these pieces are just folded and pinned in place, but I think I might have something here. The alternating matte-to-shiny at least adds some variation to what would otherwise be a dismal, shiny dress. Once I get the bodice fitted on Jen and calculate how much fabric I need for the skirt, I can start playing with the leftover pieces and see if I can salvage something from this mess.
I'm beginning to feel just slightly hopeful.