Thursday, June 24, 2010

Progress

Not as much done as I would have hoped, but considering that when I came home from work today I had to spend an hour or so in the back yard clearing up the wreckage from this afternoon's storm (50+ mph winds, hail, way too much rain, all occurring in near 100 degree heat), and then there's this pesky thing called eating dinner, and then we decided to make raspberry sorbet, I didn't get into the workroom until after 9:00 p.m.

On the plus side, the AC is on in there, I didn't have to sew in my underwear, and I didn't stick to my dress as I worked on it.

Last night I put the strips together to form the skirt pieces. Tonight I sewed the bust darts, sewed the tops to the bottoms, inserted the invisible zipper after a long search to find where I'd put my new zipper stash, and then I spent a painful hour hopping in and out of my pinned-together dress.

Somehow - again - this dress has gone from shift-shaped to sheath-shaped. Interesting how in my quest for a specific shape, I always choose the same one, even when I don't intend to.

Tomorrow, the lining, and figuring out the width of the hem band.

Stay cool, everyone.

9 comments:

Welmoed said...

That's lovely!! I like the alternating colors on the skirt... very slimming. Can't wait to see the finished version. What will you be lining it with?

Anonymous said...

I love it! That is such a great design. I love these inspiration pieces. From seeing to making to created. So cool.

Lori said...

This is wondeful.

Andrea said...

Girl, that dress is looking great so far. I love it!!

Rose said...

You are on your way to a WOW dress. Karen, you definitely are a designer!

connieb said...

I went "ooooooh" when I say it. That dress is wonderful, Karen!

McVal said...

Gorgeous! The colors in the skirt are very slimming, even on a mannequin!

Vicki said...

No worries about staying cool here - it is winter! Love the dress. The colours are very appealing and great shape too.

Linda L said...

This is going to be a great looking dress! I like the alternating colors.