Monday, October 3, 2011

Vogue 1250 - Take 3

Vogue missed the mark with this pattern.  They should have marketed it with the slogan, "Bet you can't make just one." 

This is my third version of this dress, and there will be a fourth, simply because I have to have one in black, eventually.  It's the perfect little black dress.

That being said, this time around it's the perfect little black, white and gray dress. 

This fabric followed me home from Metro Textiles on September 17th at the NY shopping day.  I was pretty well behaved that day - only 13 yards in all (not counting a painful stop at Pacific Trims) - but this print called to me from the chaos that was Metro filled with a dozen or so fabric-frenzied women. 

I made a few tweaks this time, changing the shoulder tucks/pleats into gathers.  It makes for a softer look on the body and the drape actually works a little better for me.  I think it's a personal, body-shape issue; depending on the weight of the knit, looking down at that pleat cascading into a drape over my chest feels more like I'm wearing a valance, and I've never wanted to be Scarlett O'Hara and wear the drapes!

I also made one other minor change, this one out of hard-headedness on my part.  I ended up with a bit more fabric than I asked for (Kashi does cut generously sometimes) and wondered if I had enough left to make myself a top.  I decided that I would, if I conserved just a bit and cut the back bodice as two pieces instead of wasting fabric by cutting on the fold.  Considering there's already a center back seam up the skirt, I didn't think it would make much of a difference, and because of the print, it's barely visible. 

So, a dress and a top from this fabric.  Even better.

No sewing last night or today.  Yesterday we went to NJ for a belated family birthday dinner, and stopped at Tractor Supply so I could get chicken supplies to last us until spring.  I like a little added value to a family visit; I'm still looking for one when we visit my aunt.

The chickens are doing well, despite literally almost 2 feet of rain since they moved in.  They lay pretty regularly (we get between 6-9 eggs per week, so I'm learning to make quiche) and don't require much in the way of attention.  5 minutes in the morning for water and feed, the same in the evening plus our kitchen scraps or some weeds from the garden to perk up their diet.  On Saturdays I scoop the poop, which makes the compost very happy.  It's interesting watching the tempered glass lids on my compost bins steam up after I make a deposit.

And last weekend my handyman came over and installed an outdoor outlet so I can put a light in the coop this winter for warmth and to keep their water from freezing.  Not much else to report on the poultry front - I have to say, I like having their eggs, but I don't find them tremendously interesting.  I think they feel the same about me, so at least we're even.

12 comments:

Elaray said...

Funny thing. Usually I click through blogs on Google Reader without paying close attention to which blog I'm reading. When I saw the photo's on this post, I thought, "This must be Karen!" Without seeing it on you, I can tell this dress suits you. No wonder you've made three.

Lori said...

Very pretty dress, good idea about the gathers.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you...everyone seems to make more than one! I have the pattern and haven't done one yet, but I'm very excited about all of the iterations i've seen. I love, love, love your fabric!!!! It looks fantastic! Uh...take 4? Vita

MySummerTouch said...

I like your dress a lot! It would be great to see it on you!

Little Hunting Creek said...

What a great dress! Yes you need a black one. I have to figure out how to add sleeves to mine for fall

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

What are you going to do when you add sleeves to that baby? Can I say at least another 3 or 4 then? *LOL* This one is very pretty and I'm sure it's great for work.

And the chickens are just amazing...who would have thunk!

SEWN said...

Love this print and this dress! I think you might finally convinced me to make this dress!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Another great version of this dress! Thank you for the update on the chickens. You should get an ice cream maker--you'll find plenty of use for the yolks at least.

Andrea said...

Great fabric!
There is nothing like having really fresh eggs for breakfast. Or in quiche for dinner! Have you tried a fritatta?

Vicki said...

I have yet to make this one up. I do have the pattern...so maybe some day soon. I love this version!

Brenda said...

Thank you for the chicken update! Very cute dress.

senaSews said...

Beautiful dress. It looks great in this fabric.