Friday, December 2, 2011

The circle widens

Now that I have my head above water, I can mention the fact that the sewing world got just a little bigger last weekend. Gaylen of GMarieSews, was in town over the holiday weekend with her husband and we were able to meet up on Sunday morning for coffee (but alas, no fabric shopping; she did that on Monday).


Not surprisingly, she is another lovely, interesting woman whom I felt like I'd known for ages - about 5 minutes into the conversation. What is it about sewists? We're a very likable bunch. Her husband was also a good and patient man, tolerating sewing and other conversation with nary a sigh or an eyeroll. Sewists also apparently have likable husbands.

Another sign that she's one of my people - we were talking about knitting (which I'm still resisting, mostly for fear of another stash) and she showed me her very gorgeous socks that she had knit herself. And she let me touch them, and didn't think it was weird.

That's what I'm talking about.

4 comments:

Journeyin' Lady... said...

Sewist. . .haven't heard that term for us Sewers (even though I haven't been doing much lately I do still love sewing)...love it. Enjoyed your blog.

Barbara said...

Karen, this post made me laugh out loud even as I agreed with you 100%.

That's what I'm talking about! Too funny.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I love Gaylen and JB having met them both in person! And isn't her knitting just AWESOME!

neighbourhood.gal said...

that's lovely. I have non-sewing friends locally who are very patient with me and let me touch their clothes or sneak a peek at the inside without calling me weird. It would be even better if they knew what I was looking for...