In my month-end review, I mentioned a dress that was almost done. The key word there, if you were listening, was almost. I had hems to do, and I needed to finish off the neckline.
|Alice - not totally gratuitous photo |
- her 8th anniversary is this weekend.
It looked okay, but of course knit facings are going to flip up at every opportunity, so it couldn't end there. And instead of putting it aside until my head was clearer, I kept going. I knew I could make it work.
Hubris told me it was okay to topstitch the neck with a stretch stitch which is impossible to pick out, and to continue stitching around the entire neckline even when my instincts were telling me something horribly wrong, and then to look at the lumpy, misshapen result and throw it on the floor until I recovered sufficiently to pick up the seam ripper.
It took three nights of ripping, but the lumpy stretch stitches are gone. Of course now there are picks in the knit and a few small holes (thankfully on the underside), and the pristine newness of my fabric is shot to shit.
What's a recovering know-it-all to do? I pressed my facing down again, used a little Steam-a-Seam this time to keep it from flipping (which I didn't need to do the first time because - repeat after me - I knew what I was doing. I ran a line of non-stretch basting stitches around the neck, because I really don't need it to stretch anyway. Then I decided the best thing to do to cover the wear and tear I inflicted on the area was to add some trim.
I'd considered trim when I first started the dress but vetoed it because the fabric was busy enough. But now it's necessary and I'm glad I was for it before I was against it. I'll think about it tomorrow. Right now I'm just happy that I've worked myself back out of the mess I made, and I know that some answer will present itself as regards to the trim. Enough.
Beware. When you're absolutely certain you know what you're doing, think again. Hubris might be lurking behind you, waiting for its chance to bite.